OWL to hold webinar as 100-year anniversary of 19th amendment approaches

Melanie Romo, Assistant Features Editor

The Organization of Women Leaders (OWL) is hosting a virtual event on Oct. 7 at 4 p.m. focusing on the 19th Amendment.  

This year marks a special moment as the country commemorates the hundredth year since the major landmark decision that gave women the right to vote in the U.S.   

In February of 1870, the 15th amendment was added and guaranteed all men the right to vote, prohibiting the denial of the right to vote on the basis of race. However, the amendment failed to protect citizens on the basis of gender. 

On Aug. 18, 1920 the amendment was ratified, confirming the right of to vote for all U.S. citizens, regardless of sex. The 19th amendment allowed them the same right to take part in the political decisions made in their country as their male counterparts.  

The panelists discussing the anniversary of the historic event include Jeanine Kraybill, Assistant Professor of Political Science, Rhonda Dugan, Associate Professor of Sociology, Ivy Cargile, Assistant Professor of Political Science, and Alicia Rodriguez, Associate Professor of History.  

According to Kraybill, a variety of topics concerning the voting rights will be covered. The topics on the agenda include the historical context and shortcomings of the 15th amendment, intersectionality in Black women and Mexican American women’s suffrage, and religion’s role in the 19th amendment 

There is a misconception that everything came together for the American public once the right to vote was granted to women. Cargile said that in reality, not many women gathered outside the poll stations that year, and many of the women who did vote were women of color. 

According to Cargile, it took almost a decade’s worth of progress before Black and Latina women took to the polls more regularly. 

As the election day approaches, exercising the right to vote is being emphasized now more than ever. A scroll through social media will result in celebrities and leaders stressing the importance of voting, reminding viewers that the Nov. 3 elections are a significant part of sharing the American public’s voices, especially minority women’s.  

Kraybill states that the event will depict how suffragettes fought for a sense of respect and authority, as well as the shortcomings of gender equality in the modern day. The fight for gender equality is not over.  

Follow the Zoom link to attend the event.