CSUB to update virtual student resources

Katrina Singleton, News Editor

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, CSU Bakersfield, along with the rest of the CSU system has decided to return to the virtual learning format for the fall 2020 semester. However, the resources for CSUB students are still available for them to use, though the approach may be different. 

The Walter Stiern Library will be available for in person activities for the upcoming semester, however, the library’s website will be providing all of the normal services and resources students may need, according to Curt Asher the Dean of the Walter Stiern Library.  

Asher also stated via email that the Walter Stiern Library will provide research help for students Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., on Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sundays from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. 

Asher wrote in an email that the library has added new resources to their database collection for students to access this upcoming semester which can be found on their website library.csub.edu. 

“Please consider the library homepage your research hub. If you get to know it and the people behind it well, you have a great chance of success at CSUB,” Asher wrote in an email. 

The Student Recreational Center (SRC) is still closed at this time, but students will be able to access specialty classes, such as Yoga and Zumba, that the center offers through Instagram livestreams. In an email sent by Mary O’Mahoney, Director of the SRC, she states that the SRC is still waiting for the Chancellor’s Office to make the decision on opening recreational facilities in the CSU system. 

“It will also depend on the COVID situation in the areas where the campuses are located,” O’Mahoney wrote, “however, once we get to a point where it is safe to open the SRC and we get the go ahead from campus administration we will do so.” 

The SRC staff is really looking forward to opening again for CSUB students once it is safe to do so and will do so in phases. 

“We are developing a new app that will allow us to develop a reservation system. Students will be able to make a reservation for the day and time they want to access the facility and the app will allow contact-free entry into the Rec through a bar code on the app,” O’Mahoney wrote in an email. 

Each reservation is an hour-long period and in order to comply with social distancing measures some machine and activities, like the rock-climbing wall, will be unavailable. The SRC will be alternating through exercise machines every week so students can still get the best experience possible. 

For any questions regarding the policies of the SRC or its scheduled classes through social media or by emailing the SRC at [email protected]. 

“I would like to applaud the students who are continuing their education during these crazy times. I would encourage [students] to take advantage of the programs and services that are being offered by CSUB virtually to engage with their fellow students and keep connected,” O’Mahoney advised in an email. 

CSUB’s Food Pantry will be open throughout the semesters for students to stock up on their nutritional needs. The Food Pantry will be open five days a week and hours will be expanded for the fall 2020 semester in comparison to the hours for the summer. 

Amanda Saxby, the Farm to Pantry Student Assistant Lead with the Department of sustainability, wrote in an email that they are taking precautions to make sure everyone will stay safe when visiting the pantry. 

“The rules for shopping are limit two shoppers at a time, you must wear a face mask and hand sanitizer is available. In addition, we have been spray-painting lines that are six feet apart outside the pantry for those waiting their turn to get in,” Saxby wrote in an email. 

The Food Pantry is still accepting donations to their stock and Saxby is encouraging those that want to donate to continue to do so during the semester. A CSUB ID is required to check out and will only be open to CSUB student staff and faculty to use this semester.  

The Health Center is open for students and also offers virtual appointments for those that are not comfortable coming to campus. In an email from Erika Delamar, the Associate Director of Student Health Services, the Health Center’s hours for in person appointments are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., but for the week of August 24 in-person appointments will be scheduled Monday through Wednesday from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and the rest of the appointments will be scheduled for telehealth appointments. Hours for the health center will be adjusted Monday, August 31. 

“Our in-person appointments will be scheduled Monday through Wednesday 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Thursday 8:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.; our telehealth services will be available on Thursdays 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and on Fridays 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Please not that no medical services will be available from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.,” Delamar wrote in an email. 

The Health Center will require students to complete a prescreening before coming to campus for their appointment and if it is not completed students will not be seen by the Health Center. The prescreening process can be found on the CSUB Mobile App ad click on Covid-19 Self Screening icon. When finished with the screening save the confirmation by screen shot or by texting it to a mobile device so it can be shown to the Health Center.  

When on campus, students must wear a mask into the Health Center and during the appointment. If a student does not have a mask the appointment must be rescheduled. If a student is more than five minutes late to their appointment, the appointment will be cancelled and rescheduled.  When students arrive to campus, they must call the Health Center at (661) 654-2394 to check in, then students will be directed to an alternate entrance where they will be met by their nursing staff. 

The nursing staff will be taking temperatures at the door at the start of the appointment. If the student’s temperature is 100.4 degrees or greater their appointment will be rescheduled. The Health Center is encouraging students not to bring anyone with them to their scheduled appointments if avoidable as the Health Center will not let them into the building. 

Most of the Health Center’s resources will be available for students, except for the X-Ray services. However, the doctors are able to refer students to local offices that will provide that service. The Health Center will only be seeing students by appointment this semester and ask students to please go through the “Appointment Checklist” before contacting the Health Center. 

“As life continues to change, know that Student Health Services is here for you! Your health and safety is our top priority; we encourage you to take advantage of our services as you strive to maintain your health and wellbeing. If we all do our part, we can continue to slow the spread of COVID-19,” Delamar wrote to students in an email.