Runner recipe: Potato tacos

Destinee Sims, Opinions Editor

I’ve never been one to reject a good taco, but between the pandemic creating shipping delays and shoppers buying more groceries at once, it’s been a bit harder to find good quality meat to make them. However, I did notice that most stores are staying stocked up on potatoes. They’re cheap, tasty, and very versatile. With the right seasonings, potatoes are an easy way to enjoy many of the flavors associated with tacos. These are also perfect for those that are looking for a vegan alternative to enjoy the classic dish with veggie-based friends and family. 

Ingredients: 

3 russet potatoes, cubed 

18 corn tortillas 

¾ cup vegetable oil 

½ tablespoon paprika 

½  tablespoon black pepper 

1 tablespoon cumin 

¼ tablespoon cayenne pepper 

¼ tablespoon turmeric 

¼ tablespoon onion powder OR ½ cup fresh onion, diced 

Optional: 1 teaspoon kosher salt 

Taco toppings of choice 

Seasoning alternative: If you cannot make your own seasoning, prepackaged taco seasoning will work. 

The seasoning blend is easily adjustable for everyone to love! (Destinee Sims)

Directions: 

Place the cubed potatoes in a pot and fill it with water. Allow the potatoes to soak for 30 minutes. This allows them to release the contaminants and excess starch; the soaked potatoes will also cook better. 

In a small frying pan, add ¼ cup of the vegetable oil. Add the other ½ cup to a large skillet. 

After the potatoes have been soaked and drained, add them to the large skillet. Add the seasonings to the potatoes, and thoroughly mix them together. 

Once the potatoes have been covered in the seasoning blend, and onion if used, begin cooking them on medium-high heat. You will need to frequently stir the potatoes, ensuring each is cooked until crispy. 

In the small frying pan, turn the oil to medium-high heat and allow the oil to get hot. If you are unsure whether the oil is hot enough to cook the tortillas, you can add a drop of water. If the water causes the pan to sizzle and crackle, it is hot and ready. Be careful though; the water can cause the oil to pop and potentially cause burns when done carelessly. 

Once the oil is hot, add one tortilla. Allow the tortilla to be heated in the oil for about 30 seconds before flipping it. Once both sides have reached the desired crispiness, remove it from the pan. I recommend placing the warmed tortillas on a plate with a paper towel, as it will help absorb excess oil. Continue this process with each tortilla. I layer the paper towels between every 3-4 tortillas, allowing each to have its oil absorbed. 

When the tortillas and potatoes have both reached the desired crispiness, they are ready to plate. Top each taco with your favorite toppings and serve. 

Do you have a recipe that is perfect for college student? Send it in to The Runner at [email protected] for it to be possibly shown on our media pages.