The importance of shopping sustainable

Yoana Andrade, Features Writer

Sustainability, according to Google, is the ability to avoid the depletion of natural resources in order to maintain ecological balances. How we translate this into the fashion industry can be important. Buying sustainable clothing from sustainable brands focuses on three reliable things: profits, planet, and people.  

Google defines “fast fashion” as the act of providing inexpensive clothing produced rapidly by mass-market retailers in response to the latest trends. Fast fashion pollutes the planet in many ways.  

Sustainable brands can be expensive compared to fast fashion brands, but they do come from natural resources, like natural fibers, and overall a more eco-friendly experience.  

Popular sustainable brands are Reformation, Everlane, Patagonia, and H&M. Shopping at thrift stores or handmade item shops is also another way to shop sustainably and help combat the fast fashion industry.  

Lynna Ha has been shopping on Etsy, which is an online platform where people can sell their handmade products, like clothes, jewelry, and art. Ha has been buying soaps and shampoo off of Etsy that do not contain palm oils, harsh chemicals, or plastic to support the environment. She is also very proud that she is supporting a small business that worries about helping the planet.  

Morayo Olujumu, another student at CSU Bakersfield, actually owns a sustainable clothing brand named Òríà. She is both owner and fashion designer for her brand. What inspired her to make a sustainable clothing brand was her values; Morayo values the Earth, her culture, human rights, and fashion.  

Olujumu says that the fashion industry is the 3rd most polluting industry in the world. As a consumer who advocates for climate change awareness and ecological sustainability, she decided it was best to make her clothing line one that helps the planet.  

What makes Òríṣà sustainable, Morayo says, is that she uses fabric from natural fibers such as cotton, linen, hemp, or upcycled fabric. Òríṣà does not use fabric made from animal materials, and it tries to keep synthetic fibers below 25% of the brand’s usage. Òríṣà also tries to reduce waste by using scrap fabric to make new clothing pieces like crop tops, scrunchies, and even rugs.  

Morayo says that although Òríṣà is not a 100% sustainable clothing brand yet, she says in the future she plans on expanding Òríṣà’s realm of making socially responsible decisions with their clothing so customers can enjoy being stylish and guilt free. You can see more of Òríṣà on Instagram @_orisa.official 

Shopping sustainably can help the planet and help combat fast fashion, which is one of the most polluting industries in our world.