You are worth the pause: mental health in quarantine

Estefany Henriquez, Features Writer

The COVID-19 pandemic has probably brought on a different lifestyle for many CSU Bakersfield studentsOne may worry about not getting sickhow to keep oneself entertained, and most importantlywhat the future will bringIt is completely understandable for many to be feeling down and stressed thorough this uncertain time. Mental health is an important aspect to focus on during times like these 

Some students have stated that their lifestyles have not changed as much. 

“I have always been comfortable at home, but it’s tough being inside when the weather calls for a nice day at the beach or a walk around the park,¨ human biology major Catherine Chua said. 

On the other handsome students have faced a whole new change. 

“In this time of quarantine, I feel isolated. Going to college played a big part of my life and I didn’t realize it until this quarantine started. I have learned through this time that it is the little things that count and the little things that you miss the most,” Victoria Guerrero, music education major, said. 

Students are also finding some fun in their time at home.  

“Something that really has helped me is journaling out my day. I listen to calming playlists on Spotify, and I’ve learned to place tougher boundaries on anything that may harm my mental health,¨ said communications major Maria Alonso. 

“To keep myself busy I’ve been playing Animal Crossing: New Horizons on the Nintendo Switch online with my boyfriend, trying to get some form of exercise at least every other day, and watching a ton of shows and movies. Also, having friends check up on me via video call every once in a while makes me forget that I am all alone in my room,” Chua said. 

“I have enjoyed myself and my family. Obviously, there are times when I get bored, but I always try to keep myself busy doing things that I like, such as reading, painting, watching Netflix, or cooking. When I am stressed, I like to FaceTime with my cousins or friends and we do our makeup together. We put on a makeup contest and I have a lot of fun,” said psychology major Daniela Alamos. 

“FaceTiming with friends helps me, as well as reading and walking my dog,” Guerrero said.  

The students offer their thoughts and advice on mental health as well as the pandemic.  

“We are not even halfway through 2020 yet, but I’m hoping and praying that we get through this tough time and that things will eventually go back to normal,” Chua said. 

“This period has taught me that I am valued, my voice matters, and it’s okay if all I do for a day is get up. I know that I am shape-shifting and adapting and forever seeking growth. My worth doesn’t decrease because of my mental anxiety. It’s completely okay to feel all the emotions and take time to increase your vibrations. Healing, success, and productivity looks different for everyone,” Alonso said. 

“Find ways to have fun. Like, do something that you have always wanted to do but never had the time to get to it. Talk with those whom you care about. Stay motivated, because this time will pass,” Alamos said. 

Take care of yourself as well as your mind, because you matter. Get help when you need it, and don’t be afraid to reach out and put yourself first more often.