Students choose self care in isolation

Illustration by Lauren Hill

Yoana Andrade, Features Writer

Now that everyone around the world is in isolation due to the new coronavirus (COVID-19) and have to find things to do inside the comfort of our homes, reading books and just finding new self-care tips can be something to do. Since no one really knows when the isolation order will end, reading a book or finding new hobbies, like finding new ways to take care of the body and mind, are possible pastimes.  

Not only can one do self-care and read books, but one can read books about self-care. According to Amazon.com, the top three best sellers in self-help books are “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People,” by Stephen R. Covey, “Unlimited Memory,” by Kevin Horsley, and “Untamed,” by Glennon Doyle.  

Vanessa De La Cruz, who is a junior high school librarian, is currently reading young adult fiction books. She recommends reading “Allegedly,” by Tiffany D. Jackson, “A Long Way Down,” by Jason Reynolds, and “Barely Missing Anything,” by Matt Mendez. 

There are all types of self-care whether it is physically, personally, emotionally, mentally, or socially. Naturally, there are a plethora of ways a person can enhance these types of self-care.  

Students at CSU Bakersfield are now having classes online through Zoom, but according to Lynna Ha, she is also talking to her friends through Zoom to participate in social distancing. Her friends are helping her do projects around the house and helping with homework, and this helps her take care of herself and stay on track. Human interaction with people you love is necessary for one’s social self-care.  

Alyssha Geraldo has also been taking new steps to take care of herself, and some of them are buying new natural kits of vitamins for both her and her family, and disinfecting her house to get rid of germs. This is an example of physical and personal self-care, especially now that we want our immune system to be healthy and to stay away from germs due to COVID-19. 

Rebeca Guerrero, a student who usually has to commute to CSUB in a three hour round trip four times a week, used to teach Zumba. Now that she no longer has to commute, she has been practicing her choreography. Her self-care tip to everyone is to dance and stay activeThis self-care tip falls into the physical and mental categories of self-care. Staying active can not only make the body stronger but it can also reduce anxiety and stress 

During a time when everyone has to stay home due to a pandemic, it is best to find new things to do. Reading a new book, or practicing new self-care tips can be possible pastimes.