Runner recipes: Sweet pineapple chicken

Destinee Sims

This sweet chicken dish is a great way to use up some old produce!

Destinee Sims, Opinions Editor

With some canned goods and the right seasonings, the possible uses for chicken breasts become limitless. With some older produce, a can of carrots, and the right seasonings, I was able to make a sweet and satisfying pineapple chicken. Inspired by sweet and sour chicken, this dish is great for using the produce that can be obtained from local food banks and is available for an affordable price from grocers! 

Ingredients: 

4 chicken breasts, cubed 

1 ½ cups flour 

cup apple cider vinegar 

cups brown sugar, packed 

2 cups water 

2 ½ tablespoons soy sauce 

½ cup pineapple juice 

teaspoon paprika 

1 teaspoon ginger 

1 teaspoon black pepper 

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper 

1 can pineapple slices 

1 can carrots, sliced 

3 mini bell peppers, cut to preferred size 

¾ of a yellow onion, minced 

1 clove of garlic, minced 

1 tablespoon vegetable oil 

Optional: 1 cup shredded jackfruit 

Directions: 

In a large pot, add your brown sugar, flour, water, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, paprika, and ginger. Be sure to thoroughly mix them together, then bring to a low boil over medium-high heat.  

Destinee Sims
The chicken must be cooked for at least twenty minutes to kill bacteria.

When the sauce has begun to thicken, reduce it to low heat. Occasionally stir to prevent it from burning. 

In a separate pan, place the chicken, vegetable oil, onion, and black pepper over medium-high heat. Continue to mix the ingredients together until each piece is almost cooked. The chicken will turn white as it cooks. 

Once the chicken has turned white all the way through, continue cooking it for two to three minutes. Then mix in your remaining vegetables and pineapple. Thoroughly mix the ingredients together, and continue cooking until the desired texture is reached for each. The chicken should cook for no less than 20 minutes total. Be careful. Undercooked chicken can carry salmonella bacteria and cause food poisoning. 

Once the stir fry blend reaches the desired textures, I recommend draining the liquids from the pan or using a second pan for the next step. You will be adding the sauce to the main pan. Once the ingredients are all together, be sure to mix them all well. Continue to cook the dish for two to three minutes. 

Remove from heat, and plate it with your favorite sides. This dish pairs well with steamed rice. Serve the dish up and enjoy!  

Do you have a recipe that is perfect for college students? Submit it to The Runner at [email protected]