Runner recipes: Red hot country potatoes

Destinee Sims

Warning: these potatoes are extremely spicy and may cause intestinal discomfort. Please be aware of your body’s limits.

Destinee Sims, Opinions Editor

My family has always had a few common staples when cooking: pasta, rice, beans, and potatoes. A family favorite has always been country potatoes. They’re cheap, tasty, and easy to make. This country potato dish is inspired by California; the fields of onion, the cloves of local garlic always readily available on store shelves, but most of all, the flavorful spices used in every dish. These potatoes draw their flavor from garlic and a variety of dried peppers, creating a mild heat.

Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes

Destinee Sims
Soaking the potatoes allows the contaminants and excess starch to be released.

Ingredients:

2 large russet potatoes
1 cup yellow onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/4-1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
½ tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper

Directions:

Take the large potatoes, and start by cutting them into halves; continue to do so until they are cut into bitesize cubes. Then place the potatoes in a pot, ensuring they are entirely submerged in water. Let them soak in for ten minutes. This allows the potatoes to release dirt, contaminants, and some of the excess starch. It will also prevent the potatoes from developing a grey hue.

Once the potatoes are done soaking, drain and rinse them. Place the now-clean potatoes into a large skillet, along with the onion, garlic, and spices.

Over medium-high heat, add the oil to the skillet. Frequently stir the potatoes, as this will prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pan as they cook.

Destinee Sims
The seasoned potatoes are delicious, cheap, and easy to prepare.

The potatoes will need to cook for approximately twenty minutes. They will turn a golden shade, and the seasonings will appear various shades of brown once they are done. You can also poke a piece of potato with a toothpick or fork to test help them reach the desired softness.

Once the potatoes and vegetables are cooked to preference, remove them from heat. Allow them to cool for approximately five minutes, then enjoy!

Have a recipe that is perfect for college students? Send it in to The Runner at [email protected]!