Seven tips to avoid cabin fever

Destinee Sims

With everyone being cooped up at home, it is important that everyone finds ways to preserve their mental health.

Angela Jordan, Opinions Columnist

Most of the world has slowed down or come to a stand-still since the order to shelter-in-place and practice social distancing was given more than a week ago. Schools have transitioned to online classes, many people are working from home, restaurants are only allowing takeout, and essential businesses have cut their hours. While it is necessary that we stay home, it leaves us feeling like we essentially have nothing to do and nowhere to go. 

Still, being home should not stop us from having fun and being productive. Here are a few things to keep you occupied during your state of isolation. 

1. Keep a routine.

It’s important that we keep a routine and not treat this quarantine like a vacation. Although it may not seem as apparent, most of us still have our same responsibilities. Get ready for the day as you usually would to maintain some normalcy. If you drink a cup of coffee before you head to work, drink a cup of coffee before getting to work at home. If you work out in the afternoon after class, do your class work and put on a good work out video at home. If you have kids at home, try to come up with a routine for them as well so you each are still able to be productive. 

2. Clean, organize and redecorate.

Cleaning is definitely important during this quarantine. It is important you disinfect everything in your home.  

“Cleaning of visibly dirty surfaces followed by disinfection is a best practice measure for prevention of COVID-19,” the CDC website explains. 

After cleaning, organize your space! Put on Tidying Up with Marie Kondo on Netflix, and organize the cluttered spaces around your home. With all the new space and time you’ll be spending at home, you may want to redecorate to make your space to make it feel more inviting and motivating. 

3. Exercise! 

The amount of downtime you have may make you feel like you’re becoming lazy.  

According to “The Mental Health Benefits of Exercise,” an article created by Help Guide, people who exercise regularly feel more energetic and “positive about themselves and their lives.”  

Gyms may be closed down to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, but you can still exercise at home. YouTube is a good site to find great at-home workout videos that don’t require machines and weights.  

If you do want to use weights but don’t have any on hand, get creative and lift your backpack full of books, your younger sibling, or a water jug. You can take a walk or run outside with your dog as long as you keep your distance from others. You may even want to try making a trendy dance video on apps like TikTok

4. Watch something new.  

Stream a new show or movie by yourself, or watch with friends and family through the Netflix Party app. It’s the new way to watch movies with your friends while in the safety of your own home. You are able to stay in sync with them and chat while the movie streams. 

Streaming services like Netflix, Hulu and Disney+ offer a wide variety of shows and movies with a subscription. Prime Video from Amazon thankfully carries newly released movies, but they often must be rented. There is also the option to watch traditional television, though show and channel selections will vary by company.

5. Experience the world digitally.

To help the public stay occupied while they stay home, many artists like Chris Martin from Coldplay, John Legend, and Keith Urban have been playing live on Instagram for fans to listen and interact. There have been DJs and producers, like Diplo and Dj D-Nice, doing lively performances for viewers to tune into. Others musicians have just decided to share something other than their vocals. Miley Cyrus has been inviting other well-known people to have deep conversations on Instagram.  

Musuems have also stepped up to help the public stay safely at home by offering digital tours. The National Gallery of Art, The Smithsonian, and NASA all have free virtual tours of their complete exhibits, while museums like The Louvre and The Vatican Museums only share a peek of their greatest exhibits, ranging from works of Michelangelo to the Sistine Chapel. Since museums from around the world have chosen to participate, you can experience a little piece of history from any culture you choose.

6. Stay committed to your education. 

Despite this feeling like an additional break to some students, school is in session. We are still students this spring semester, most of us have just been moved to online. Make sure to keep up with emails for updates and do your homework ahead of time. You may even want to use a planner to make sure you’re not forgetting anything. For those who don’t have a class that transitioned to online, take time to study on your own. Get in contact with your classmates to help each other understand the material more or help one another improve certain skills. You could also reach out to your professors. Some may have good advice on industry-specific skills you should work on prior to graduation.

7. Most importantly, stay motivated and optimistic!

It’s easy to lose track of life and stay in bed all day while the unpredictable coronavirus negatively impacts the health of our world, but we must not let the effects of the virus affect our emotional health. Protecting our productivity is important for our physical and mental health. It will encourage us, after this quarantine is over, to return to our normal lives. Remember to find time in the day to think about the positives, whether it’s spending more time with family or getting a chance to catch up on homework. Address your anxieties and concerns as they arise with logical solutions. This will help prevent you from becoming overwhelmed. 

Overall, there are a variety of things you can do to help yourself survive the quarantine. Make sure you do what is best for you.