Runner recipes: Easy vegan roasted carrot and tomato soup with grilled cheese

Rosie Callejas

This simple meal is a perfect way to enjoy the childhood taste many of us known and love, as well as getting in some of the day’s recommended vitamins and nutrients.

Rosie Callejas, Opinions Columnist

This is perfect for those who are tired of eating the same thing old thing and would like to try something new, or are simply looking for something quick to make! This is a quick, filling, and delicious vegan recipe that requires little to no effort. Best of all, you likely already have many of these ingredients in your fridge.

There seems to be a misconception that vegan food usually equates to expensive and/or tasteless food, but that is not the case. Vegan foods are more common than you would think; they tend to be the base of a recipe before animal-derived products are added into the mix.

Here’s a tasty recipe that you can whip up in roughly 30 minutes. You can even let your oven and blender do most of the work. Multi-tasking is key here, but don’t worry, it’s not anything you can’t handle!

Yield: 2-3 servings of soup, one sandwich.
Prep time: approximately 5 minutes
Cook time: approximately 25 minutes

Ingredients:
5 tomatoes
4 carrots
2 cloves of garlic
¼ cup of olive oil
A pinch of salt
A pinch of pepper
Bread of choice.
1 slice of cheese – I recommend Daiya’s Cheddar Cheese slices.
2 tbsp butter – I recommend Earth Balance’s Organic Butter.

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 450F degrees.

While your oven is pre-heating, wash your produce and chop your ingredients. The carrots should be in half-inch rounds, the tomatoes in halves, and the garlic cloves can be cut into slivers.

Cover all vegetables in olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper on top. Ensure that all ingredients are thoroughly seasoned and prepped.

Place ingredients on a baking sheet and allow them to roast for 15-20 minutes. You’ll know they’re ready once they’ve started browning on top.

While your vegetables are roasting, you can begin to make your grilled cheese.

Spread a bit of butter on both sides of your bread and grab a skillet.

Place your skillet over medium-high heat. Add about a tablespoon of butter; the butter will begin to melt as the skillet heats up, indicating that it’s time to add your other ingredients.

Add your bread, butter side down, and cook until both slices are nice and toasted. Flip one slice over the other, adding cheese in between, and cook for another minute or so. Place the finished sandwich on a plate. Feel free to place It in the microwave to retain warmth.

Now that you’ve made your grilled cheese, you can finish making your soup.

Add all your roasted vegetables to a blender along with a cup of room temperature water and blend until the mixture is smooth. Once the soup has reached your desired consistency, you can safely add it to a bowl. The soup will be warm from being blended so proceed cautiously.

All that’s left to do now is enjoy your warm bowl of soup and a savory grilled cheese to go along with it! This is sure to satisfy the appetite of both vegans and non-vegans alike.

Have a recipe that you would like to share that would be perfect for college students? Send it to The Runner at [email protected]!