KHSD closes its doors to instruction but remain open for meal services

Katrina Singleton, News Editor

Sunday, March 15 ended with the announcement of the closure of all Kern County public school districts closing their doors to instruction. 

The decision came after a press conference with Gavin Newsom, California’s current Governor, announced that the Kern County High School District was one of the remaining largest districts in California that still had public school districts open and operating under normal instructor procedures. 

Though there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Kern County, the Kern County Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Mary C. Barlow, and Kern County Director of Public health Services, Matthew Constantine wants to help reduce the risk of COVID-19 spreading even further. 

“Out of an abundance of caution, to minimize the spread of COVID-19 throughout Kern County, we are recommending a temporary closure of all Kern County public schools. This recommendation also applies to preschools and charter schools in Kern County,” Barlow and Constantine said. 

These districts have been instructed to close their doors to instruction until further notice and are not recommended to open their doors again for instruction no earlier than Tuesday, April 14. 

On March 15, the Kern High School District released an announcement on their website regarding the schedule for the closure of their schools. 

KHSD has released a schedule each school in the district must follow to prepare for the district closing on Wednesday, March 18. 

On Monday, March 16 schools will remain open for instruction. On Tuesday, March 17 schools will be open and operating. By the end of the school day, staff will receive additional information regarding the next steps in regards to the closure. On Wednesday, March 18 schools will officially be closed. Staff will be receiving information on the closure and how long the closure will last as the information becomes available. 

It is unknown at this time whether instruction will continue online or if the instruction will be halted for the time being. 

Though the doors on KHSD schools will be closed for instruction, the doors will be open for those that rely on schools for meals. The meals will be served in noncongregate settings that will protect students and faculty.