Runner recipes: Kung pao chickpeas

Kung+pao+chickpeas+makes+a+colorful+dish+that+helps+students+consume+their+recommended+daily+vegetables+without+being+too+expensive.+

Destinee Sims

Kung pao chickpeas makes a colorful dish that helps students consume their recommended daily vegetables without being too expensive.

Destinee Sims, Opinions Editor

Buying groceries each week can get expensive, making it difficult to cook on a college student’s budget. Thankfully CSU Bakersfield has the Food Pantry; there are a variety of meals that can be made using the ingredients available for students there. Kung pao chickpeas is a vitamin packed dish filled with healthy fats and carbs alike, bringing together textures and flavors that bring the satisfaction of traditional kung pao chicken.
The vegetables used in this recipe were obtained from the canned goods located in the Food Pantry’s unit, and from their Pop-Up Pantry. Vegetables can be substituted or added based off the produce available. Don’t fret if there is nothing on the shelf labeled “chickpeas,” as another equally common name is garbanzo beans. As they are the same bean, either canned will work.
Follow the recipe below for an affordable and tasty dish.

Yields: Approximately 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour

Ingredients:

1 medium red onion
1 small white onion (optional)
16 oz of chickpeas
32-35oz broth of choice, vegetable recommended
2 celery stocks chopped
1 red bell pepper diced
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp pepper
20oz kung pao sauce of choice. Panda Express’ Kung Pao Sauce works well
4 cups preferred rice
4 cups water
2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil

Destinee Sims
Ensuring that each vegetable is thoroughly coated in kung pao sauce keeps the dish flavorful and moist.

Instructions:

Drain the canned chickpeas, and place them in a large pot with the broth, paprika, and black pepper. Ensure the broth completely covers the chickpeas the entire time they are cooking, even if it means adding more broth during the process. Then cover them with a lid and boil on high, stirring occasionally, for approximately 30 minutes.
Drain the chickpeas once they have gotten softer; they will still be firm to the touch. Add the chickpeas, vegetables, and oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Continue to pan fry the vegetables until the chickpeas are golden. Add the kung pao sauce, thoroughly coating the vegetables. Cover with a lid and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally.
In a large pot, add the rice and water. Bring to a boil; keep the rice on medium-high heat until it has absorbed the water, stirring regularly. If instant rice brands like Minute rice are used, follow the instructions on the package.
When the rice is complete, the food is ready to assemble. Serving the kung pao on top of the rice is recommended.

Do you have a recipe to share that would be perfect for college students? Send it in to The Runner at [email protected]!