CSUB celebrates the LGBTQ+ community during Pride Week

Mari Woodmansee

Freshman English major Alec Dotson, and Senior Double major psychology and interdisciplinary studies Samantha DeLaCruz talks to Freshman Nursing major PerlaMartinez about what Club Gen has to offer students during the Pride resource fair happening in the student union patio on Monday Oct. 7 2019.

Angie Saavedra, Reporter

CSU Bakersfield is committed to being an all-around campus by being accepting of every student and staff member, no matter their race, gender, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation. From Oct. 5 to Oct. 12, CSUB hosted Pride Week in support of the diversity in our campus culture. CSUB Pride Week was organized by Campus Programming and co-sponsored by Associated Students Inc.Housing and Residence Life, LGBTQ+ Network, Pride Affinity Group, MAGECthe Student Recreation Center, and the Walter Stiern Library. 

During Pride Week, one of the events was held at Runner Hour out on the Student Union patio. There were tables set up with pottery for students to paint, and rainbow temporary tattoos for students to show their support for Pride Week.  

“Right when I walked onto campus, the first thing that caught my eye was the pottery table,” said criminal justice major and Class of 2020 Cynthia Carranza. “I love pottery and all I wanted to do was paint one for my nephew, Remy. They had the most beautiful colors, basically the colors of the rainbow. My nephew loved it!”  

Carranza also mentioned that she loved the fact that CSUB hosted Pride Week in support of the LGBTQ+ community. Carranza is enthusiastic about supporting Pride events due to the fact that many of her family members are married to partners of their same gender. 

“I am all for pride week and shout out to campus programming for making everyone feel welcomed on campus!” cheered Carranza. 

Another student, Kenna Duhon, Class of 2020, said, “Pride Week is such a big deal and I can’t believe that CSUB is in full support of the LGBTQ community.” 

Duhon mentioned that the temporary tattoos handed out during Runner Hour were her favorite part of the event. 

“Literally everyone was asking where I got my rainbow tattoo, and it excited me to tell them that I got it in front of the SU patio in support of Pride Week. Most of my friends are part of the LGBTQ community, and they are thrilled that CSUB sees them and lets them be heard,” said Duhon. 

According to CSUB’s website on Pride Week information, “Pride Week is an opportunity for all individuals to participate in an open dialogue regardless of their individual positions on LGBTQ issues.” Events like these are meant to show faculty, students, staff, and the community that CSUB is a welcoming environment and safe space for all individuals.