Breast cancer awareness workshop for female students

Andrea Rabago, Reporter

The month of October is that time of the year when breast cancer awareness is promoted extensively to female students. Although many are aware of the seriousness of this illness, there are a few who have little to no knowledge about it.  

Educating students on illness and disease is a priority at CSU Bakersfield. Students can take advantage of workshops and classes offered here that cover the potential risk factors that affect them, especially at this age, and become more self-aware. 

Breast cancer is forms in the cells of the male and female breast tissue, and is the second most diagnosed type of cancer in women. Common signs and symptoms of breast cancer may include: a breast lump or thickening that feels different from the surrounding tissue, change in the size, shape or appearance of a breast, changes to the skin over the breast, such as dimpling, peeling, scaling, crusting or flaking of the pigmented area of skin surrounding the areola or breast skin, and redness or pitting of the skin over your breast, like the skin of an orange. 

To spread awareness for students on campus, CSUB Student Health Services has partnered with Dignity Health to provide a health workshop for students. At the workshop, titled “Health Education for Young Women,” students can look forward to learning about myths and facts, understanding the risks, and receiving simple steps for maintaining lifelong breast health. 

A testimonial from a young breast cancer survivor will be heard, and there will also be interactive activities, handouts, and incentive items for eligible participants. 

Once a student has completed the workshop, they will be provided with a number and the name of a program where they can go to get a free mammogram.  

CSUB graduate student Jocelyn Ceron said, “I like the idea of informational workshops being provided for students on breast cancer awareness because even though the information may not apply to themselves personally, it can be useful to them when and if a relative, sibling, grandmother, and even their own mother happens to be affected by breast cancer personally.”  

The next Dignity Health workshop will take place on Oct. 15, 2019 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the CSUB Student Health Services Conference Room.