Arun Gandhi coming to CSUB campus on Saturday, Sept. 28

Lauren Hill, Features Editor

Headshot of Arun Gandhi published on the 15th annual Kegley Institute of Ethics Fall Lecture poster.

Mohandas K. “Mahatma” Gandhi has empowered the lives of thousands of individuals and has changed the world with his belief systems and advocacy for non-violence and civil rights. There are people all over who never got to meet him, experience him, or hear him, however, CSU Bakersfield is receiving the opportunity to hear Gandhi’s legacy live on through his grandson, Arun Gandhi. Arun Gandhi will be coming to CSUB’s campus as a featured speaker for The Kegley Institute of Ethics’ 15th Annual KIE Fall Lecture. 

Gandhi was born in South Africa in 1934, and did not meet his grandfather, M. K. Gandhi, until he was twelve years old. He lived with his grandfather for two years in India and shortly after he returned home his grandfather, M. K. Gandhi, was assassinated. In those two years, Gandhi experienced his grandfather’s inspirational affect closely. M. K. Gandhi once said, “You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.” Gandhi has chosen a life in which activism is important and necessary. A life that which his Grandfather has inspired greatly as he travels around the world and shares the lessons he has learned. 

“I saw him as an undergraduate in Salisbury, Maryland,” Michael Burroughs, Director of Kegley Institute of Ethics, recalls. “It was a great talk then, it had a real impact on me as I was reading some Gandhi at the time. He was really gentle and personable person,” he said. 

To celebrate the 15th annual KIE Fall Lecture, Burroughs said, “I really like the idea of bringing people together as a community from different backgrounds to engage in dialogue together about a topic that’s important. It’s important for us to disagree, but to do so in a way that’s respectful […] and I think that’s part of what these talks are about.” 

“Nipun Mehta is talking before Arun Gandhi and he’s a great speaker. He’s really charismatic and just has a great presentation style, Burroughs said. 

Arun Gandhi and Nipun Mehta will be coming to speak to students, faculty, and the public at CSUB on Saturday, Sept. 28, 2019. It is free and open to the public and Gandhi’s lecture titled, “Lessons from My Grandfather: Non-Violence in a Violent World” will take place in the Dore Theatre at 10:00 a.m.