5 things to do at the SRC

Sam Underwood, Editor-in-Chief

The Student Recreation Center (SRC), located on the east side of camps, just south of the Student Union, is a resource free to use by CSU Bakersfield students. If you are interested in fun activities, getting in better shape, health and fitness, or if you just want to learn some Yoga, then you should definitely check out the SRC.  Here are five great things that you can do at the SRC.

1. Rock Climbing – A pretty dominant feature as soon as you enter the SRC is the rock climbing boulders.  This obstacle presents more than just the traditional wall most commonly seen at gyms.  Rock climbing at the SRC includes many different shaped boulders that present a multitude of challenges and climbing experiences. Rock climbing is a great work out and a lot of fun.  There is a special couple’s climb challenge every year on Valentine’s day that presents a whole other level of challenges for partners to test themselves.

2. Group X Classes – Group X classes are fitness classes taught by other CSUB students to help you with your fitness goals.

Madeline Duran, a 4th year nursing student and student worker at the SRC, said “Group X classes are a good opportunity to work with an instructor.”

The classes range from yoga, Zumba, kickboxing, cycling, weight training, and many more depending on what interests you.  A schedule of the classes is available at the SRC or on the CSUB website.

3. Working out – The SRC is a full feature gym with nautilus and non-nautilus weight lifting options. If weights are not your favorite workout, the SRC also has many machines such as cycles, treadmills, and ellipticals.

Dianne Roseburr, a senior and psychology major, explained that during the summer she visited the SRC simply to work out 4-5 times a day, and “at least three times a week” while school is in session to keep up with her fitness goals.

Showers, lockers, and towels are available as well to freshen up after your workout before you head to class.

4. Outdoor adventures – Ready to get away from school and have some fun? Sign up for a trip away from the campus.  Adventures include many activities such as hiking, kayaking, rock climbing, snowboarding, surfing, and much more.  Some trips are overnight and weekend trips.  Transportation and equipment is provided.  The only downside is that the Outdoor Activities come with a small fee.  However, considering the activities available, the fee is worth the experience.

5. Challenge Program – The Challenge Program, also known as the rope course, is a set of obstacles that is designed to challenge a group to work together as a team as they complete physical obstacles. Like Outdoor Adventure, the Challenge Program costs a fee and has to be booked in advance.  However, if a group were to split the fee it would be fairly inexpensive.

These are just a few of the things available at the SRC.  Stop by to check out other great features like the indoor basketball courts or the indoor track.  Whatever you enjoy, the SRC is a great place to get a good workout and focus on your mental, physical, and spiritual health.