The First-Year Experience course has some growing up to do

By Allie Page, Opinions Writer

CSU Bakersfield’s First-Year Experience seminar is in need of change. Since it adds to the already large load of general education classes that students must take, faculty should consider making some adjustments to the course so it better serves its purpose.

According to CSUB’s course catalog, all first-year students are required to take two semesters of the seminar (CSUB 1009 and 1019). While the engineering department offers an engineer-specific version of the class, all other majors take the same class. Despite this, the classes aren’t standardized, so not everyone gets the same experience. Students have mixed opinions about the classes.

“I liked it, because it helped me to navigate my way around campus more easily,” said Hannah Rosica, a freshman majoring in history. “It made me feel less stressed out about what I had to do in the future with regards to being here.”

“I thought the class was interesting because it discussed all of CSUB in one place,” said Serrena Rincon, a senior majoring in psychology. “I’d say I had a good experience. It was a good way to connect with other students. But I don’t think there were enough resources for the students who were undeclared.”

“I think we should get rid of it,” said Joshua Velasquez, a junior majoring in kinesiology. “I think we should get rid of it entirely.”

Since students do benefit from the class, it should not be removed. However, it still has some room for improvement.

First, CSUB should require just one semester of the seminar, not two. The material in the second section is largely redundant, and it does little more than draw out what should be a simple introduction. Students do not have to be taught Cornell note-taking twice.

“I think the first part is more informative than the second part,” said James White, a sociology professor who teaches the FYE class. “In the 1009, I teach them everything on campus, from the library, to how to be courteous in the dorms. The second semester is kind of a repeat of everything. I would say that the class is too long. I think you can do both semesters in one semester.”

Second, CSUB should create more major-specific versions of the class, in addition to a general version for undeclared students. That way, students will have the opportunity to learn more about their majors from the start. It can also provide an early taste of the major, and help incoming freshmen decide if their majors are truly right for them. White compares it to the senior seminar, which is major-specific.

“I think they should make it more of a senior seminar type thing,” said White. “They should keep it major-specific and have those in that major teach it. I’m a soc’ guy, give me all the soc’ people. Those who are undeclared should have, say, liberal arts professors teach them.”

Lastly, the departments at CSUB should standardize the class, so that it won’t differ dramatically between professors. To avoid redundancy, the course shouldn’t include skills already taught in the mandatory freshman English and communications classes. Consistency is key here.

General education is vital to becoming a well-rounded student, but it needs to be relevant, helpful and precise. Any class that students must take should be worth the hundreds of dollars in tuition. Improving classes such as the FYE seminar will improve CSUB students’ overall quality of education.