International women celebrated

Sergio Hernandez

CSUB African Student Association’s Kings and Queens dance team took the floor to perform an African dance during the International Women’s Day event in the Stockdale Room on Friday, March 8.

By Lauren Silvis, Reporter

Friday, March 8, was International Women’s Day. In celebration, the Organization of Women Leaders of CSUB planned an event to celebrate women of all cultures.
On the Student Union patio, songs celebrating women were playing in the background as CSU Bakersfield students tasted food from different cultures, wrote their own pledges and celebrated women.

Yolanda Moreno, OWL volunteer, was at the entrance passing out buttons, bracelets and stickers.

“This is the second year we are doing it and we have a lot more planned for this year. The only worry we have is the rain,” Moreno said.

After students got their free swag from Moreno, the food table was around the corner.

Ruth Miles, a CSUB counselor, said “We have French sponge cakes, Italian waffle cones, Chinese fortune cookies, Mexican salsa and guacamole chips, pumpernickel pretzels from Germany and candy from Australia. Today is meant to celebrate women of all nationalities in every way.”

As the event was underway, rain began to fall. Quickly, students and staff moved the entire event into the Stockdale Room. Alexandria Boyt, biochemistry major said, “A little rain never hurt anybody. We will celebrate women indoors and outdoors. This rain won’t rain on our parade.”

Moments later, in the Stockdale Room, the event was back up and running.

First up was a performance by the Mexica Tiahui Ballet Folklorico of CSUB. The first dance was a duet that included intricate footwork and cheers from the sidelines. Anja Nicole, an exercise science major said, “This dance is beautiful, the two of them are telling a story without any words.”

After that, a group of women and men took the stage. Their dance was much faster paced. Their bright yellow dresses were on full display, thanks to the choreography that included swinging arm motions. The crowd was very involved, encouraging them the entire time.

Next, the mood quickly shifted as three women began a Tibetan dance. The music was slower and the women in their bright blue and red dresses began to dance. “It’s interesting how the Mexican dance featured women making a lot of arm movements, and the Chinese dance is the same,” said Nicole.

After the dances, Amy Ressler performed “Even the Devil Hates A Putz,” while Fred Anthony played the drums and the African Student Association performed “Kings & Queens.”
After the celebration had come to an end, Moreno said, “The turnout was great and the rain didn’t stop us.”