Annual Greek Week ends with talent show and BBQ

Photo courtesy of Hannah Banks

Aaliyah Beed, Reporter

Associated Student Union alongside the Greek council held the annual Greek Week Barbeque April 25 on the Student Union Patio. Student, staff, and Greeks enjoyed food provided by ASI as well as a talent show put on by the Greek council.

The Greek organizations that participated in the talent show were: Delta Zeta Tau, Nu Phi Chi, Phi Sigma Sigma, and Gamma Phi Beta. This year’s theme was Disney’s Pixar. Each group channeled different movies such as Coco, Monsters University, and Toy Story. Delta Zeta Tau even imitated the famous Pixar movie introduction.

All Greek organizations in attendance showed support to their peers. Gomez also noted that the Greek Gala would be the last event of Greek Week held on April 26. Awards were given to standout members and organizations of the Greek community. The winner of the talent show were announced at the Gala.

“When you join a Greek organization it’s not just you, and that organization that you are in, but it’s all organizations, and this event is a great example of that,” said Giselle Gomez, Greek and Panhellenic Council member.

Gomez is a junior biology major. She had family that participated in Greek organizations at CSUB before her who shared their great experiences. This is one thing that lead her to join. Also, she enjoys doing community service and meeting new people another aspect that Greek life is about.

“This was my first Greek Week and I really enjoyed this experience with my sisters. I think everyone did amazing at the talent show and I can’t wait for the years ahead,” said Brynley Martinez, member of Nu Phi Chi.

Martinez is a second-year kinesiology major with hopes to get into the registered nurse program. She has been a member of the cheer team for two years. This year she added her Nu Phi Chi family and loves being a sorority.

Gomez also said she found new family being in a sorority. Currently CSUB has seven active Greek organizations on campus, four fraternities and three sororities. Gomez added that Fall recruitment will begin in the second week of the Fall.

“I’ve been a student here, but this is my first time attending this event. I had a great time watching the performances I may even join a sorority,” said Alexis Maldanado.

Maldanado is a third-year liberal studies major. Attending the barbeque opened her eyes to maybe joining a sorority next year, if not, at least attend more of their Greek events.

ASI and Greek Council put on another amazing barbeque and talent show. The Greeks showed their close-knit family vibe as everyone cheered each other on.