CSU Bakersfield professors highlight Author Showcase

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sam Underwood

Reporter

This Tuesday, Feb. 5, the Walter Stern Library will be hosting the second annual Author Showcase.  Five authors from the faculty and staff, right here at CSU Bakersfield, will be featuring their latest publications in the Dezember Reading Room of the Walter Stiern Library.  This event is set to take place from 12 to 2 p.m. and will include a light lunch for anyone who wishes to attend. Attendants can expect to meet the authors, see the books, and gain from the authors’ experience.

The first showcase last year was an endeavor between the Walter Stiern Library and Dr. Thomas Wallace, Vice President of Student Affairs, according to Curt Asher, Dean of the University Library.  Since then, the library has taken on the event on their own in an attempt to expose students, and the community, to local authors available here on campus. This year’s showcase will include:

Dayanand Saini – Physics and engineering professor;  “Engineering Aspects of Geologic CO2 Storage: Synergy Between Enhanced Oil Recovery and Storage.”

Hager El Hadidi – Anthropology professor; “Zar: Spirit Possession, Music, and Healing Rituals in Egypt.”

Stephen Allen – History lecturer; “A History of Boxing in Mexico: Masculinity, Modernity, and Nationalism.”

Stafford Betty – Philosophy and religious studies professor; “Ghost Boy.”

Rebecca St. Croix Martinez – Arts & Humanities, school of administrative support coordinator;  Numerous children’s books.