Second annual RowdyCon coming to CSUB

Back to Article
Back to Article

Second annual RowdyCon coming to CSUB

Droid builder Jackie Bell of the R2-D2 Builders Club shows off his own model at Rowdy Con on Sept. 30. 
Photo by Jarad Mann/The Runner

Droid builder Jackie Bell of the R2-D2 Builders Club shows off his own model at Rowdy Con on Sept. 30. Photo by Jarad Mann/The Runner

Chelsea L. McDowell

Features Editor

CSU Bakersfield’s campus will be taken over by video game enthusiasts for the second annual RowdyCon on Saturday Oct. 6.

Influenced by Vintage Days, Fresno State’s three-day festival, RowdyCon was established to fundraise for children’s hospitals and medical research. The convention will also allow clubs on campus a platform to celebrate the community. All proceeds from RowdyCon will be donated to The Children’s Miracle Network.

A variety of game genres will be available, along with a performance by local vaporwave artists Dream Sequence, a Polynesian dance lesson, and a Super Smash Bros. tournament.  This will be the first year that outdoor activities will be incorporated into RowdyCon, and will include Human Hungry, Hungry Hippos among others.

RowdyCon begins at 10 a.m. and is open to the public. People who wish to attend ages 13 or older will pay $10; 7 to 12 years-olds will pay $5; there will be no cost for children six and younger. Those paying admission can shave two dollars off of their total if they bring two nonperishable items to donate to the CSUB food pantry.

Majorly funded by Associated Students Inc., RowdyCon will be free for CSUB students who bring their student ID.

A maid café, in which waitresses dress as maids and dote over patrons, will serve desserts to paying customers from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m.

A cosplay contest will occur from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. And the night will conclude with a viewing of The Incredibles 2—for which the rights to show costs $1,200—in front of the Student Union at 8 p.m. No blankets or chairs will be provided, so students are encouraged to bring their own.

Event parking will be in the K1, K2, and K3 parking lots.

Student Organizations Coordinator Edward Webb wants people to know that RowdyCon is open to everyone.

“With gaming, I think people still have this idea that, ‘oh, I’ve got to be a hard core gamer to do this. To have fun here I have to be able to stand toe-to-toe with somebody at Fortnite’ or something,” Webb said. “That’s not really the case. Anybody that likes to play any kind of game will have something there for them.”