Celebrate CSUB takes the stage

Back to Article
Back to Article

Celebrate CSUB takes the stage

Pierra Peasha performs with his piano in Bakersfield's Got Talent at Celebrate CSUB on April 23.
Photo by Diana Olivares/The Runner

Pierra Peasha performs with his piano in Bakersfield's Got Talent at Celebrate CSUB on April 23. Photo by Diana Olivares/The Runner

Devon Halsell

Photos by Karina Diaz, Diana Olivares and Alejandra Flores/The Runner

Reporter

Celebrate CSUB is a chance for students, parents, faculty and their families to explore all that CSU Bakersfield has to offer.

This year was the 10th annual event of Celebrate CSUB where “Celebrating the U in CSUB” comes to life.

There was a mixed combination of clubs found on campus that participated in the event: social clubs, academic organizations, student services, and majors.

Orientation for incoming students took place during the event. Once the campus tours were over, the incoming students got to explore all that Celebrate CSUB had to offer.

“I thought it was really nice that CSUB put something on to show off the campus and its community,” said Paul Steward, an incoming transfer student from Bakersfield College.

Some of the booths, like the Psychology Club and Campus Programming, had games and treats for the children attending the event.

The Associated Students Inc. booth offered attendees a chance to volunteer their time helping to build garden boxes for its Edible Garden Project or University Garden. With the help of volunteers, ASI built six boxes in total. It also had a section of the vertical garden pots they plan to use.

Anyone who stopped by the Science Building had the opportunity to create their own rock candy and Play-Doh brains.

The sections of Celebrate CSUB that held booths for majors allowed attendees to learn what the different fields of study do.

The English Department was there with information on the different types of concentrations within the field of English. Physical education and kinesiology, social sciences and nursing programs were there as well.

Marley’s Mutts, a dog rescue based in Tehachapi, brought a kissing booth along with a few of their furry friends.

One of the ladies who volunteers at Marley’s Mutts was letting students know as they grabbed flyers that Marley’s Mutts always welcomes volunteers and “all of the dogs would love some company.”

Natalie Lovegreen, an incoming freshman said, “This is the first time (I’m) doing anything with CSUB and it’s really cool.”

Bakersfield’s Got Talent was another highlight of the day giving contestants a chance to win prizes (CSUB parking passes and gift cards worth $250, $500 and $1,000).

There was a wide variety of participants from singers, musicians, classical artists and dancers. While everyone waited to hear the announcement of who won, members of theå 501st Star Wars San Joaquin Squad, a unique volunteer/charity group, was on the stage to take pictures.

CSUB physical education and kinesiology major Tyler Thoms, a drummer, won first place.

About the Writer