Storyline, player control highlight ‘Fallout 4’

Fallout 4 allows for companions, such as a dog or robot, to help carry supply loads. 
Photo from cinemablend.com

Fallout 4 allows for companions, such as a dog or robot, to help carry supply loads. Photo from cinemablend.com

Martin Ramos

Reporter

Fallout 4 by Bethesda Softworks is so addicting it will have players feeling like they are binge-watching Netflix.

Fallout 4 is a first-person shooter released on Tuesday, Nov. 10 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC. The story is what really makes the game hard to put down.

You do not need to play Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas to enjoy this game, although returning fans will notice many Easter eggs hidden from previous games.

Two people playing the same game may experience completely different endings. There is no level cap, which allows different perks in the game that help players by giving them more ammo, increasing luck for better loot finds in the wasteland, and the occasional exploding bodies from a lucky bullet.

The setting takes place in post-nuclear-war Boston. Players get to name the protagonist, as well as choosing the gender and choosing facial and body features using Fallout 4’s character creation.

The game begins with your character and his or her family making it to fallout shelters, called vaults. Upon leaving the vault, players must fight off radioactive enemies.

Players also have the option for companions that cannot die, and help in combat and carry more items. Equipment and base customization add a Minecraft-like element to the game.

Trading becomes an important part of surviving. A lot of the more interesting story content revolves around ethics and morality, such as characters throughout the game ask you for drugs. While these drugs are useful in combat, it is made clear they can cause addiction.

The game even deals with issues such as slavery of robots, as well as the ethics behind deaths resulting from weapons. The sound track is amazing, and includes a lot of oldies from the ’40s and ’50s that stick to the theme of the game, such as “Atom Bomb Baby” by the Five Stars or Bing Crosby’s “Pistol Packin’ Mamma.”

The map is big and has an open world feel which reminded me of Grand Theft Auto V. Initially players must walk to a new area to discover it, but the game’s fast travel feature allows for players to move quickly from locations which have already been discovered.

The architecture of the buildings in the game resembles what people in the ’40s and ’50s thought the future would look like. I have experienced some glitches in the game, which while slightly annoying did not affect my experience enough to dislike the game: it will only improve with updates and patches.

I felt I received my money’s worth because of how hooked I got to the story and how many hours I spent playing.

I can’t remember the last time I purchased a game with no multiplayer, yet I was addicted to playing Fallout 4 without a multiplayer option.

About the Writer