Meet your ASI president candidates: Jacob Roper and Daisy Alamillo

Autumn Layton, Features Editor

The competition for the Associated Students Inc. presidential spot for the 2023-2024 school year has increased from last year with two candidates: Jacob Roper and Daisy Alamillo. 

ASI Presidential candidate, Jacob Roper

Senior Jacob Roper is double majoring in biochemistry and biology. After graduating from Porterville College and coming to CSUB, he was ready to step into a leadership position. Roper has been a part of ASI for two years now and feels it’s time to climb the ladder and become the president of ASI.  

Roper isn’t new to being involved on campus. He is a part of the tutoring center, chemistry club, pre-medical club, the police advisory council, and much more.  

Roper’s current position being the director of Natural Science, Mathematics, and Engineering (NSME) has helped him communicate with a diverse group of people that have the same interests.  

“That experience has been able to help me become a leader of a large group of the population and how to support them individually,” said Roper.  

Running for ASI President, there are some changes that he would like to make, such as having a subcommittee for special populations, advocating for students during California State Student Association meetings, and being more innovative.  

“I want to help students succeed not only here on campus but also in social and economic issues as well,” said Roper. 

The other candidate is junior Daisy Alamillo, who is majoring in business administration and double minoring in philosophy and political science. Alamillo is a first-generation college student. 

“I have been advocating for students since I was 16,” said Alamillo.  

The Dolores Huerta Foundation is where she learned a lot of her leadership skills, which is how she came into college leadership. In August 2020, she was part of an ASI internship called Lobby Core.  

ASI Presidential candidate, Daisy Alamillo

Alamillo has been a part of ASI in three different positions starting as director of community outreach, then vice president of legislative affairs, and now as vice president of university affairs.  

Through all her different positions in ASI, she feels like it’s time for her to represent students as the president of ASI. In the past, Alamillo has dealt with external and internal issues that have prepared her for her potential new position.  

“I have learned conflict resolution, time management, and organizational skills while being a part of ASI,” said Alamillo 

Some changes that she wants to make are having multiple culture centers on campus, the quality of resources, and better food options. Having conversations is the start of creating change and Alamillo is passionate about it.  

Both candidates are determined and intentional about running for the president of ASI. It is now up to the students of California State University, Bakersfield to decide who they want to represent as their new leader.