First ASI Meeting of the Fall Discusses Exciting New Resources

Chase Anderson, Reporter

CSU Bakersfield’s Associated Student’s Inc. held its first meeting on Aug. 28.

ASI President, Vanessa Chicaiza, read ASI’s mission statement and addressed student questions and concerns that had been sent to ASI through email.  

One CSUB student wrote about her concerns to ASI representatives regarding feeling unsupported by CSUB’s faculty during the transition to distance learning.

The student explained that she had overcome many obstacles to continue her education, always receiving positive affirmation from those at CSUB, and now she feels that her needs are not being addressed.

The ASI members discussed her concerns, as many other students found themselves in the same situation, and agreed to reach out and see how they can help the student.  

Sarah Hendrick, Director of Alumni Engagement, delivered the Alumni Engagement report, addressing a new online platform called the Runner Bridge where students can message and connect with past CSUB alumni. The platform can be used for networking and for current students to get alumni opinions and support on various issues. More information can be found on the CSUB Alumni page. 

“Will there be a graduation ceremony for those who did not get one?” a CSUB student asked ASI representatives.  

CSU Chancellor Tim White will be deciding on if students will be attending their campuses for the spring 2021 semester. 

The student was told that the timing is unknown depending on the Chancellor’s plan for spring 21 and Governor Newsome’s lift on mass gatherings, but they are trying to make it happen as soon as possible.  

The ASI Board also interviewed and elected Johnathan Janes, a biology major and transfer student from Taft College, as the new Chair of the Board.  

The Student Recreation Center reported that a reopening plan is being put together that includes the use of shields, distancing guidelines, and times of availability.

The Fusion Go app is will be used by the CSUB students and faculty to make reservation times for gym use upon its reopening. More information and updates on this can be found on the SRC’s Instagram page @csubsrc or its page at https://www.csub.edu/reccenter 

These meetings are open to the students and the zoom link is sent out to students via their CSUB email before the scheduled meet times.