Runner recipe: Vegan ceviche

Rosie Callejas

Vegan dishes don’t have to be boring; there are a wide range of ways to make them flavorful and fun!

Rosie Callejas, Opinions Columnist

Ceviche is a classic savory dish that is loved by many. It is made up of fresh vegetables and seafood, combined with spices and citrus. Whether you’re allergic or seafood just isn’t your thing, there’s no need to worry! Here is a yummy alternative way to enjoy this dish without the use of shrimp or other sea life. This vegan-friendly take on ceviche is guaranteed to impress everyone who tries it, as it tastes so similar to the real thing!  

Yield: 5 servings 

Prep time: approximately 15 

Cook time: approximately 10 minutes  

Total time: 25 minutes 

Ingredients: 

cup of dried soy meat 

1 cucumber 

1 red onion 

1 jalapeno  

1 tomato 

6 limes 

1 teaspoon salt 

1 pack of tostadas 

Directions: 

Boil the soy meat for about 5 minutes and drain, removing it from heat after it reaches the desired texture. Allow the soy meat to cool while you prep your vegetables. 

After washing your produce, dice the cucumber, red onion, jalapeno, and tomato into bite sized bits. 

Add all of the vegetables into a bowl along with the soy meat and teaspoon of salt. Squeeze all 6 limes over the bow, ensuring as much of the lime juice as possible makes it into the dish. Allow the mixture to sit for at least 30 minutes. 

Once your ceviche is ready, place the mixture on top of a tostada and enjoy! 

Have a recipe to share that’s perfect for college students? Send it to The Runner at [email protected].