Runner recipes: Cilantro lime tortilla crusted chicken tenders

Destinee Sims

These flavorful chicken strips will be a hit with the whole household.

Destinee Sims, Opinions Editor

I’ve always had an appreciation for some delicious chicken tenders; they’re crispy, flavorful, and filling. Of course, this meant the first part of this cooking adventure was to browse the internet for healthier alternatives to the heavily salted and greasy tenders I would normally get at a restaurant. After trying a variation or two from the web, I eventually decided to trust my own culinary instinct. This resulted in 14 affordable, zesty tenders with minimal for me to feel guilty about. Best part? The whole, notably picky, family loved them! If you’re looking for a way to switch up your dinners on a budget, this dish is perfect for you!  

Yield: 14 chicken tenders 

Prep time: 15 minutes 

Cook time: 20 minutes 

Total time: 35 minutes 

Ingredients: 

14 chicken tenderloins. 

3 cups tortilla chips of choice, crushed 

2-3 eggs 

3 limes, cut into wedges 

1/2 tablespoon garlic powder 

1/2 tablespoon cumin

Destinee Sims
The crushed tortilla pieces should be small, but not ground.

1/4 tablespoon onion powder 

1/4 tablespoon paprika 

1/4 tablespoon black pepper 

1/4 tablespoon turmeric 

Cilantro, to taste 

Optional: 1/4 tablespoon kosher salt 

Tip: for a low sodium option, choose unsalted tortilla chips. 

Directions: 

Preheat the oven to 375 F; this will use two trays, so I recommend using both ovens if you have access to a double wall oven. 

Cover two baking sheets, glass or metal is acceptable, with aluminum foil. This is to prevent the cooked chicken tenders from sticking. 

Add your egg to a bowl or plate, as you will be dipping the chicken tenderloins in it soon. 

In a separate container, mix your crushed tortilla chips and seasonings together. 

Take one tenderloin and dip it in the egg, ensuring that all sides have been covered. Then take the egg-dipped tenderloin and roll it in the crushed tortilla blend. Be sure to cover it as much as possible.  

Once you have rolled the tenderloin, place it on one of the foiled trays. Repeat the process with each tenderloin.  

Destinee Sims
Top the strips with fresh cilantro for the best flavor.

When all of the chicken has been battered and added to the tray, add anything left over from the tortilla chip blend to the chicken tenders on the tray. I try to spread any extra crushed tortilla chips evenly across all of the tenders. 

Gently squeeze a small amount of lime juice over each tenderloin, following it up with cilantro to taste.  

Place the chicken tenderloins in the oven(s) and allow them to cook for 10 minutes. Rotate the tray to ensure even cooking, and then allow the tenders to cook for about another 10 minutes. The crust should be turning a nice golden brown, and any visible chicken should have gone from pink to white. 

Optional step: for a more even cooking job, flip each tender over half way through cooking. I personally avoid this to prevent the crust from potentially being knocked off, but this is up to the chef’s preference. 

When the tenders are done cooking, top with lime juice and fresh cilantro to taste. Serve these savory strips with your favorite sides, such as cilantro lime rice. 

Tip: My family absolutely loves these strips, especially when paired with their favorite salsa. I personally recommend pairing them with pico de gallo. 

Do you have a recipe to share that’s great for college students? Send it in to The Runner at [email protected] for it to be shared on our website!