Breaking News: Public health denies social media rumor about coronavirus being confirmed in Kern County

Katrina Singleton, News Editor

Rumors have been circulating since 11:16 p.m. on Jan. 29 regarding a case of coronavirus being found at a local Kaiser Permanente in Bakersfield, Calif. The rumors started with a simple public Facebook post, that has been shared over 300 times since it has been posted, claiming they got confirmation of a confirmed case of coronavirus by a friend via text and confirmation from a patient of Kaiser Permanente.  

After contacting Michelle Corson, a public relation officer for the Kern County Public Health department and former Public affairs representative for Kaiser Permanente, she has denied that any cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Bakersfield, Calif. at this time. 

We have reached out to the original poster from Facebook Jan. 30 at 12:29 p.m. They have not yet responded on where their resources for the rumor originated from. 

To decrease chances of contracting the coronavirus the CDC recommends that you thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water, avoid contact with your eyes or mouth with unwashed hands, cover your mouth when sneezing and coughing, and stay at home if you are feeling sick.  

The CDC also recommends that if you are concerned about any of your symptoms to reach out to your healthcare provider as soon as possible. For more information regarding how to protect yourself from contracting the coronavirus read our previous story here: https://therunneronline.com/25406/uncategorized/corona-virus-alert-for-csu-bakersfield-students/