Runner Nights artist revealed

By Sarah Jane Atkinson, Reporter

The long awaited genre, rap, has finally made its way forward by introducing Tyga as this year’s Runner Nights artist.

On March 12 at the Student Union, CSU Bakersfield students waited in anticipation for the announcement of the 2019 Runner Nights artist.

CSUB Campus Programming and ASI hosted the artist reveal which included free food and music for any students on campus. Vice President of Student Affairs, Thomas Wallace, was the honorary person to pull down the banner that announced this year’s performer: rap artist Tyga.

Students who attended the event were pleased with the announcement. When asked if she was excited about the announcement, Criminal Justice major Savannah Pedrusa said “yes” because, “He is one of the artists that I listen to and he’s in my playlist.”

This is CSUB’s 4th annual Runner Nights Concert. Last year, the concert artist was Miguel.

In order for CSUB to host such big named artists, there is a process. Campus programming coordinator Afaf Aldhulay explained the process in an interview. She mentioned that those who participate in selecting an artist are all a part of what is called “The Runner Nights Committee.” This committee includes representatives from Campus Programing, ASI, Athletics, SRC, Housing, Student Affairs and the Student Union.

Before choosing an artist, CSUB programming sends out an email survey to all of the students that attended the prior runner nights and they attached a question regarding the genre that students preferred. Hip-hop and R&B had the highest majority.

Programming then contacts their middle agent who works with artist management teams. Aldhulay said, “We give her our budget and the genre we want and she’ll give us some people she thinks [are] available at that time.” She also mentioned that they even used Coachella as a reference when searching for artists.

Once programming is given the available artists, the committee comes together in order to make a final decision. In this deciding period student assistants are also asked their opinions on artists as well.

Aldhulay added that, “It boils down to the artists’ availability and if we can afford them. This year it just happened that Tyga was in our price range and he is based out of L.A.” The budget is based off of each partner in the committee and how much they are willing to contribute to Runner Nights. The Runner Nights carnival receives a budget first and then the rest of the contributions go towards the concert.

In regards to ticket prices and who is allowed to go to the concert, Aldhulay mentioned that the money usually comes from student fees. Because of this, “It’s a discounted rate for students.” Aldhulay’s main concern was letting everyone know why the concert only allows CSUB students and 2018 graduates. She said, “We would love to open that up, but currently at the moment, it’s for our students’ safety.”

On allowing guests, Aldhulay said, “Hopefully in the upcoming years we can open it up.”