Tyga takes over Runner Nights

Tyga performs during Runner Nights inside the Icardo Center April 12. Photo by Simer Khurana/Special to The Runner

By Vincent Perez
Features Editor

CSU Bakersfield got a taste. A taste of Tyga.

The Compton-born rapper hypnotized the approximate 1,500 CSUB students with his infectious beats in the Icardo Center during his Runner Nights’ performance on April 12.

CSU Bakersfield students hold their phones up during Tyga’s performance on April 12 during Runner Nights.
Photo by Simer Khurana/Special to The Runner

According to Ilaria Pesco, executive director of ASI, the approximate total is 300 more than last year’s Runner Nights which hosted Miguel.

The acoustics of the Icardo were surprisingly acceptable for a hip-hop concert and students danced throughout the night. Tyga finally hit the stage at 10:30, an hour and half after the doors opened.

To a loud roar coming on stage, Tyga, who has had three top-10 hits on the Billboard 200, ran through his catalog of singles, which began with an untitled song and “Swish.” The heavily-female crowd loved the first hit of the night, which was followed by “Sip a Lil.”

Most students sang along with every word of “Faded,” Tyga’s ode to alcohol. He followed that up with the well-known “Rack City,” and the chorus was heard echoed off the walls of the Icardo.

Tyga also performed his collaborations with Chris Brown, “Bitches N Marijuana,” “Loyal,” and “Ayo.” Brown’s absence was felt during his verses, yet the party raged on.

Late rapper/activist Nipsey Hussle was paid respect by Tyga during his set. Hussle was slain in a gunshot-induced murder on March 31. Tyga, also an inner-city LA product displayed a photo of Hussle on the video board behind him. Hussle was laid to rest the day before in Los Angeles.

Shortly after, Tyga’s “Taste” erupted from the speakers and the crowd instantly recognized it by the first note.

Following that, Tyga invited CSUB female attendees onstage to dance. The DJ played Cardi B’s monster hit “Bodak Yellow,” and roughly 40 women danced with Tyga and his crew.

The last song, with the women still on stage, was fittingly “Girls Have Fun.” The crowd craved more songs from Tyga. A large crowd moved to the entrance of Icardo after the show, which ended approximately at 11:20 p.m.

“I am a little bit shocked that Tyga chose to leave without a proper goodbye,” said Tony Sanchez, a junior, after the concert. Sanchez then mentioned Tyga’s rumored $1-billion-dollar debt Tyga owes to the IRS and alluded to why Tyga performed at CSUB.

Tyga performs at Runner Nights 2019 on April 12 in the Icardo Center.

Sanchez compared Tyga to last year’s headliner.

“It was a bigger stage that what Miguel brought. There was a good accumulation of audience and women. No complaints on his performance,” Sanchez said.

“The question left is: ‘who are they going to bring next year?’” he asked.

Jessica Banuelos, a senior psychology major, said she had fun, but the rowdiness of the crowd worried her.

“People kept trying to push in and shove,” Banuelos said.

She said she would not come back unless the Runner Nights was safer.

“It needs to be organized where people aren’t getting hurt,” she said.

Banuelos said she was stepped on and elbowed in the side of the head, but persevered on to enjoy the night.

Patsy Arevalos, a sociology major, an undergrad who graduated last fall, echoed Banuelos’s comments on the rough crowd.

Yet, she said she had fun, despite the uncertainty.

“We got free food which was the best part,” said Arevalos.

She said that she wouldn’t usually go to a Tyga show.

“I liked that we had somebody here that we usually don’t see,” she said.

Tyga, arguably the biggest act to perform at CSUB’s Runner Nights was held in high regard by staff, too.

“I’m excited we were able to bring a concert that students wanted and have such a major artist,” said Pesco.

Pesco said the change of the fewer Icardo Center bleachers was to accommodate more students. She added that a $15-dollar ticket was a great price for a major artist like Tyga.