OPINION: What to binge watch over the holidays

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hana Ayoub

Writer

As students finish off the last of their dreaded finals, they still face one daunting decision over break: what should I binge watch next? Whether you are a Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime junkie, nearly every student watches something over the holidays.

I personally am a fan of Netflix. I love rewatching older classics as well as exploring Netflix originals.

Daniella Padilla, a sophomore majoring in criminal justice, also likes Netflix originals.

“They’re corny movies, but the ‘Princess Switch’ is really good. It just came out.” says Padilla. “The Princess Switch” stars Vanessa Anne Hudgens, and follows the timeline of a duchess and an ordinary girl who switch places over the Christmas Holidays. Any High School Musical fans will want to watch this because who doesn’t love Vanessa Anne Hudgens?

Spencer Stockton, a freshman engineering major, is more of an Amazon Prime guy.

“Even though the movies cost money, I can find any movie ever made on there,” said Stockton. However, if students do not want to pay extra for movies or shows, Stockton recommends “Big Mouth” on Netflix.

“It’s a really funny one, but it’s inappropriate,” says Stockton.

“Big Mouth”, a Netflix original currently in it’s second season, is a cartoon about teenagers enduring the dreadful stages of puberty that everyone encounters. It is definitely a mature show, but two seasons are very easy for any student to finish over break. Stockton also recommends “The Outlaw King,” starring Chris Pine, which is set in 14th century Scotland, and follows the fight for independence from English rule.

Amanda Zavala, a senior psychology and English major, loves rewatching classics over Christmas break.

“‘The Grinch’ is my favorite, I also love ‘Home Alone.’ I can binge watch those multiple times every year, especially at Christmas time,” said Zavala.

For anyone who loves classic Christmas tales, there are plenty of remakes in theaters this year. Illumination entertainment just remade “Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch,” starring Benedict Cumberbatch,  and Disney just released “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms,” starring Mackenzie Foy and Keira Knightley.

“The Great Christmas Light Fight” on Hulu has six seasons, and is a perfect show for any Christmas fanatic. The show is a competition featuring families across the United States who are aiming for the $50,000 grand prize. It even pits neighbors against each other in their race to the best Christmas light display. At six seasons, it is a great holiday show to binge.

Hulu offers different competitions, such as the “Holiday Baking Championship,” that are perfect for the holiday seasons.

If you are interested in another thematic series, “Harrow” is a Hulu original released this year that follows a forensic pathologist. While the main character performs autopsies, he is also fighting to keep his own secrets underground.The show is full of crime and drama, and while it only has one season, the episodes are 52 minutes long and action-packed.

Whether you are looking for action, romance, comedy, or competition, there is a wide variety of shows and movies that would be great to binge over the break.

Artwork by Aqsa Khan.

About the Writer