Runner recipe: Hot shrimp tacos

Clarissa Alderete

The finished product has unlimited ways to be customized.

Clarissa Alderete, Assistant Photo Editor

Yield: 12 tacos 

Prep time:  15-20 minutes 

Cook time: 15 minutes 

Restaurant options have continued to decrease as the quarantine continues, but grocers have thankfully been able to restock many products regularly sold in stores. If you can’t go to your favorite restaurant to grab some delicious shrimp tacos, it may be time to learn to make them yourself. This extra time spent at home is perfect for learning new recipes. These zesty shrimp tacos are perfect for satisfying your cravings, and are easy to make out home!

Ingredients:
2lbs shrimp, see below for details
½ cup cilantro, chopped
6 green onions, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste

8 tbsp of butter

Clarissa Alderete
When the shrimp is first placed in the pan, it will have a pink hue.

Sour cream, for garnish
Hot sauce, see below for details
12 corn tortillas, 24 for those that prefer to use two tortillas per taco 

1 can pinto beans 

Shredded cheese of choice, for garnish
Optional: Lettuce, for garnish 

Optional: Tomatoes, for garnish 

Optional: Lemon wedges, for garnish 

For every 1lb of shrimp, use 4 tablespoons of butter to grill; we used 2lbs of frozen shrimp (2 frozen bags).

Directions: 

To begin cooking your shrimp, put the butter in pan. Allow the butter to melt before adding the green onion, salt, pepper, and cilantro. 

Slowly, add the shrimp. Allow them to cook over a low fire, or low-medium heat, until all the liquid is gone. It will take approximately fifteen minutes for the shrimp to cook. The cooked shrimp should no longer be bright pink, instead appearing almost white when they are done. Remove the skillet from the fire once the shrimp is cooked.

While your shrimp cooks, begin place your pinto beans in a pot. Fill the pot with water at least two inches higher than the beans, and bring them to a boil. Allow them to cook for 5-10 minutes, or until they have softened.

Clarissa Alderete
The shrimp will begin to appear more white than pink once it is done cooking.

When the pinto beans have become soft, remove them from heat. Smash the beans with a lage spoon or rubber spatula.

To prepare your special shrimp sauce, mix together a small amount of sour cream with the desired hot sauce to taste.  

Your shrimp are now ready to serve, topped with your special sauce. Enjoy these delicious tacos alongside a serving of beans and cheese!

Do you have a recipe that you’d like to share that is perfect for college students? Send it to The Runner at [email protected].